Two dead after gunmen storm Mali resort
WIC News ~ BREAKING
2024-07-07 14:53:06

At least two people have been killed in an attack by gunmen at a luxury resort outside Mali's capital Bamako
The establishment is popular with Western expatriates, the security ministry said, but 36 guests had been rescued.
Gunmen stormed Le Campement Kangaba near Dougourakoro, to the east of the capital Bamako, a resort foreign residents often visit for weekend breaks.
"At first we thought they were armed bandits but we know how armed bandits operate, they don’t hold territory, so now we think it is a terrorist attack," Mali's Security Minister Salif Traore told journalists outside the entrance to the resort late Sunday, part of which was on fire.
Malian security forces, United Nations peacekeeping mission vehicles and French military armored vehicles were surrounding the resort, according to the Reuters news agency.
A helicopter was circling overhead.
A spokesman for French forces in Mali declined to immediately comment.
MORE TO COME TOMORROW ~ WIC NEWS
Author Profile
The WIC News News Desk delivers timely and reliable coverage of stories from across the globe. From breaking developments to in-depth reports, the desk provides readers with balanced perspectives on politics, business, culture, technology, and world affairs. Its role is to ensure audiences have access to credible information on issues shaping both regional and international landscapes.
Latest
- Belize responds to Sebastián Pop’s femicide conviction in Gu...
-
Guyana Heads to the Polls: Nation awaits Sept 1 elections th... -
Wallerfield man charged with murder of businessman Kerry Von... -
Belize: Expo Marketplace to showcase culture, music, local b... -
Tobago steals spotlight at CARIFESTA XV in Barbados with daz...