Man arrested after suspected explosive device found in Christchurch

New Zealand police say a man has been arrested after bomb disposal officers found a suspicious explosive device at a vacant property in Christchurch

2024-07-07 15:13:15

New Zealand police say a man has been arrested after bomb disposal officers found a suspicious explosive device at a vacant property in Christchurch.

Earlier in March this year, 50 people were killed in attacks by a lone gunman on two mosques.

Canterbury District Commander Superintendent John Price said the Defence Force bomb squad had now made the package safe.

"Police have located a package containing a suspected explosive device and ammunition at a vacant address on Newcastle Street in Christchurch," he said.

Police cordoned off streets in the Phillipstown area of the South Island city on Tuesday afternoon, with a bomb disposal team, ambulance and fire and emergency crews sent to the scene.

An explosives disposal unit rendered the package safe and a 33-year-old Christchurch man was arrested, the statement said. The police cordon was later lifted.

The New Zealand Herald said police were called due to “threats about an explosive device”. Police have not said whether they think the latest incident has any link with the March attack.

Fifty people were killed and dozens wounded in attacks on the Al Noor and Linwood mosques during Friday prayers in Christchurch on 15 March, the worst peacetime shooting in New Zealand’s history. Tuesday’s incident was about 1km from the Linwood mosque.

Authorities have charged an Australian man, Brenton Tarrant, 28, an alleged white supremacist, with 50 counts of murder.

The mosque attacks prompted the New Zealand government to tighten gun laws.

Monika Walker is a senior journalist specializing in regional and international politics, offering in-depth analysis on governance, diplomacy, and key global developments. With a degree in International Journalism, she is dedicated to amplifying underrepresented voices through factual reporting. She also covers world news across every genre, providing readers with balanced and timely insights that connect the Caribbean to global conversations.