Hollywood director Quentin Tarantino has admitted he had known of incidents of Harvey Weinstein mistreating women before the scandal broke earlier this month.
It comes as Los Angeles police confirmed they are investigating an allegation of sexual assault against the film producer.
The incident is alleged to have taken place in 2013 which would place it within California’s 10-year statute of limitations for such a crime.
The investigation follows those launched by officers in New York and London into a number of allegations of rape or sexual assault against Weinstein.
#LAPD Robbery Homicide Div has interviewed a potential sexual assault victim involving Harvey Weinstein in 2013. Investigation ongoing
— LAPD HQ (@LAPDHQ) October 19, 2017
Tarantino told the New York Times: “I knew enough to do more than I did. There was more to it than just normal rumours, the normal gossip. It wasn’t second hand. I knew he did a couple of these things.”
Although he said he once confronted Weinstein over an allegation, he added: “I wish I had taken responsibility for what I heard.”
The Weinstein Company – from which Weinstein has since been fired – has produced all of Tarantino’s films since the 1994 hit Pulp Fiction.
Their films include Inglourious Basterds, The Hateful Eight and Django Unchained, which is The Weinstein Company’s highest-grossing movie.
Tarantino said he had tried to telephone Weinstein since the scandal broke but had received no reply.
Meanwhile, detectives from the LAPD robbery homicide division’s rape investigation unit are reported to have spent two hours speaking with the alleged victim.
More than 40 women have made allegations of harassment or inappropriate behaviour against Weinstein since investigations by the New York Times and New Yorker magazine were published.
The mogul has been expelled by both Hollywood’s Oscars Academy and the British Film Institute. He is currently at a rehab centre in Arizona.
Through his lawyers, he has “unequivocally” denied allegations of non-consensual sex made against him.