‘Horrendous’: Somalia bombings kill almost 300
Deadliest attacks ever seen in the country
Last updated: October 16, 2017 at 14:15 pm
Twin bomb attacks in Somalia's capital city have left at least 376 people dead and 300 injured.
The death toll is expected to rise after what was the deadliest attack the eastern African country has ever seen.
The first blast was outside a hotel in Mogadishu on Saturday, in an area full of government buildings as well as resturants.
Stalls, cars and buildings were destroyed by the attack, which was followed by another blast in the capital's Medina district.
The government of Somalia has blamed extremist from al Shabaab for the attack, but the group has no made a comment.
Al Shabab is linked to al Queda.
[caption id="attachment_6678" align="aligncenter" width="100%"]
©REUTERS/Feisal Omar[/caption]WIC News sources based in the north of Africa, who have links to Somalia, said that many of the victims had suffered horrific injuries, and that both dead and alive had been burnt beyond recognition in many cases.The president, Abdullahi Farmaajo, has declared three days of national mourning.
He has appealed for blood nations to help the wounded.
A mother of four, Zainab Sharif, told Sky News that she lost her husband."There's nothing I can say. We have lost everything," she said.
Author Profile
Latest
- Breaking: Stepfather confesses in murder of missing Tobago t...
-
Dominica and India sign major Pharmaceutical MoU to improve... -
Grenada wins gold at RHS Chelsea Flower Show for 9th consecu... -
Four Seasons luxury jet Airbus A321LR lands in St. Kitts and... -
Seven in custody as search intensifies for missing Tobago to...